Saturday, April 25, 2009

Repurposing stuff

I've been trying to use stuff I have around the house before I go buy new fabric and stuff lately. The fact of the matter is, I have a closet full of fabric and could just keep it and look at it and pet it, but I should really use it. I also have lots of other....stuff...that could be used for projects. I've been trying to be more creative lately. It's fun, and cheaper.

Anyhow, I got to thinking the other day about the big Rubbermaid tote full of old uniforms that lives on a shelf in my garage. You see, when I resigned from the service, I thought I might just go back, so I kept it all. It's been four years. I'm a chubbyish suburban mom...I'm not going back. So this stuff is fair game for crafting now. I got out an old top (BDU style) and started cutting.
I made shorts for the boy. If you haven't seen Petchy's 10 minute trousers, you should really check it out. If you have a kid, and want to make them shorts, that is.


This used a very small amount of the top. So I picked apart the remaining seams, and made this bag.

No lie, that is two sleeves, opened up and sewn together. I made a boxed bottom, stabilized it with double sided fusible Peltex, and lined the inside. The strap is pieced from the back of the shirt, topstitched with varigated thread. The original shirt pocket is on the inside, plus a snapped pocket to fit a water bottle or sunglasses case. I left the original cuffs on as the top of the bag...so the opening can be cinced up or left all the way open. (It is cinched in the pics) Love it!


Oh, and I got to use my new toy, I mean tool-- my snap press! It is sooo fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment